The following organizations represent just some of the local resources available to assist breast cancer patients, survivors, and co-survivors living within the Komen North Central Alabama service area. By listing the following institutions and companies as resources, Susan G. Komen North Central Alabama does not intend to recommend them over any others. If you would like us to consider including a local resource not listed or to add or update information not included in the current listing, please contact our office at 205-263.1700 or e-mail us at info@komenNCalabama.org.
- Patient Advocate Foundation: Offers legal help when disputing insurance claim denials and provides financial assistance information.
- Phone: 1-800-532-5274
- Website: www.patientadvocate.org
- CancerCare Co-payment Assistance Foundation: Offers health insurance co-payment assistance to breast cancer patients undergoing some types of chemotherapy.
- Phone: 866-552-6729
- Website: www.cancercarecopay.org
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure and CancerCare’s Linking A.R.M.S.: For those who are eligible, Linking A.R.M.S. provides financial assistance grants of up to $350. These grants can be sused for oral chemotherapy and hormonal therapy medications, pain and anti-nausea medication, medical equipment and lymphedema support and supplies.
- Phone: 877-465-6636
- Website: www.cancercare.org
- Partnership for Prescription Assistance: Offers low cost and free prescription drug programs for those with limited income.
- Phone: 888-477-2669
- Website: www.pparx.org
- Alabama Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program (ABCCEDP): The ABCCEDP provides free breast and cervical cancer screenings for women who meet eligibility guidelines. Free services include a pelvic exam, pap smear, clinical breast exam, mammogram, and diagnostic services such as an ultrasound, colposcopy, or biopsy, if needed.
- Phone: 1-877-252-3324
- Website: http://www.adph.org/earlydetection/
- Marshall Medical Centers Mammography Assistance Program: Provides screening services at a 60% discount rate for mammograms and radiologist reading fees for any woman not meeting the eligibility requirements for the Alabama Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program (ABCCEDP).
- Women can be referred by a physician at either MMC location or self-refer at MMC South.
- Financial Assistance Dept. Phone Number: 256-894-6600
Lodging and Transportation
- ACS Joe Lee Griffin Hope Lodge: The American Cancer Society’s (ACS) Joe Lee Griffin Hope Lodge in Birmingham, Ala., offers a solution to cancer patients who must undergo treatment far from home. The Hope Lodge provides housing free of charge on a first-come, first-served basis to cancer patients and their families during their course of treatment. The lodge not only reduces the financial burden, but also provides a much-needed supportive environment.
- Phone: 205-558-7862
- Website: http://www.cancer.org/treatment/supportprogramsservices/hopelodge/birmingham/index
- Air Charity Network: Provides air travel to treatment centers.
- Phone: 877-621-7177
- Website: www.aircharitynetwork.org
- Corporate Angel Network: Provides air travel to treatment centers.
- Phone: 866-328-1313
- Website: www.corpangelnetwork.org
- CancerCare: Offers limited financial help to cover treatment-related transportation and childcare costs.
- Phone: 800-813-4673
- Website: www.cancercare.org
Head Scarves, Wigs, and Prostheses
- Hope Scarves:Free head scarves for breast cancer patients. Each scarf is sent along with a survivor’s story and words of encouragement. To request a Hope Scarf, visit www.hopescarves.org or call 502-264-3215.
- For Ladies Only Health Boutique
- 650 Old Towne Road Vestavia Hills, Alabama 35216
- Phone: 205-979-4377
- Touching You, Inc.
- 1564F Montgomery Highway Birmingham, AL 35216
- Phone: (205) 823-6407
- Website: http://www.touchingyou.com/
- Y-ME National Breast Cancer Organization: Provides wigs, prostheses and mastectomy bras for women with limited financial resources.
- Phone: 800-221-2141
- Website: www.y-me.org
Survivorship Support Services
- Yoga: Komen North Central Alabama hosts a free yoga class every Monday night for survivors and co-survivors at 6pm. Yoga is held at the Komen Community Office, located at 1909 27th Avenue South, Homewood, AL 35209. Please call 205-263-1700 for more information.
- Survive & Thrive Support Group: The Survive & Thrive support group is a participant-focused, interactive group aimed at providing social support for breast cancer survivors and co-survivors. Meetings are held every second Tuesday of the month from 6-7:30pm at the Komen Community Office, located at 1909 27th Avenue South, Homewood, AL 35209. Please call 205-263-1700 for more information and to RSVP by noon the Monday before each meeting.
- Circle of Promise Sister Talk Support Group: The Sister Talk support group meets monthly, bringing together African American survivors in the spirit of support and sisterhood for a wide variety of activities – from traditional, facilitated support group meetings to interactive activities in community settings. Please see the events calendar for posted meeting dates, times, and locations, as they vary monthly.
- Forge Breast Cancer Survivor Center: Forge Breast Cancer Survivor Center offers supportive services for breast cancer survivors and their loved ones in the Greater Birmingham area, including a telephone support line, patient advocates, gardening classes, and support groups.
- Phone: 1-800-811-8925
- Web: https://forgeon.org
- American Cancer Society: Several support groups are hosted by the American Cancer Society in the greater Birmingham area. To find a location and time please visit: http://www.cancer.org/treatment/supportprogramsservices/app/resource-detail.aspx?resourceId=21142
- The Cancer Support Community: An online support group which provides women a chance to share information, give and receive social support and gain a sense of empowerment.
- BRCA Support Group: Provides education and support to individuals with BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 gene mutations & their families. The group meets at the Levite Jewish Community Center Library, located at 3960 Montclair Road. 2014 meeting dates are May 6th, July 1st, September 2nd, and November 4th, from 7-8:30pm. For more information, contact Julie Whatley at 205-801-8266 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Gail Schuster at 205-879-3438 or email@example.com.
- ACOR: The Association of Cancer Online Resources is a unique collection of online cancer communities designed to provide timely and accurate information in a supportivesupportive environment. It is a free lifeline for everyone affected by cancer & related disorders.
- Website: http://acor.org/
Male Breast Cancer Survivor Resources and Support
- Komen Male Breast Cancer Webpage: Comprehensive information about male breast cancer including resources and information about on-line and one-on-one support.
- HIS Breast Cancer Awareness: http://hisbreastcancer.org/
- John W. Nick Foundation, Inc.: https://www.malebreastcancer.org/