2016-2017 Grant Recipients
Our dynamic Community Grants program provides vital funding for screening, education, and survivorship programs throughout north central Alabama. Without support from Susan G. Komen, many of these programs would cease to exist.
2016-2017 Community Health Grants were funded at a total of $252,559.40 and include:
- Alabama Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program, Alabama Department of Public Health – $170,000
- Provides free screening and diagnostic services to women who qualify for the Alabama Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program (ABCCEDP).
- Deep South Network for Cancer Control Komen Community Health Advisors Program, UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center – $18,158
- Program to retain and enhance the work of community health advisors – trained lay-people in our communities, who work to disseminate breast health information and resources throughout Hale, Perry, Greene, Sumter and Jefferson Counties.
- New Light Triple Negative Breast Cancer Support Group, UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center – $6,750
- Provides funding for the implementation of the New Light Support Group for those dealing with triple negative breast cancer. This program provides a supportive setting for participants and their families to learn about the characteristics of the disease, treatment options and clinical trial opportunities.
- Think Well II: Healthy Living, UAB School of Nursing – $24,962
- Provides funding for the development of the Think Well curriculum, which aims to increase breast cancer survivor and public awareness of cognitive changes that can occur after breast cancer treatment.
- Reaching All Women, Highlands Medical Center – $7,850
- Provides transportation assistance services that increase access to screening mammograms, follow up diagnostic exams, and treatment resources for residents of underserved communities in Jackson and DeKalb counties.
- Greene County Health Outreach, West-Mid Alabama Community Development Corp. – $7,601.40
- Implements a community outreach program that addresses the breast health and breast cancer screening, treatment and education needs in Greene, Sumter, Hale and Perry counties in west Alabama.
- Sowing the Seeds: Latina Lunches III – $17,238
- Implements breast health and breast cancer education and outreach designed to increase awareness, knowledge and screening within the Latina communities of north central Alabama.