- About Breast Cancer
- Community Impact
- Get Involved
COVID-19 Action Fund
The damage from the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) extends to those battling breast cancer. We have already seen patients lose income and fear for their health and survival, with many unable to access the treatment and medical care they critically need. Our work has never been more important, but the impact of COVID-19 makes it critically urgent.
Susan G. Komen North Central Alabama has established a new, unrestricted COVID-19 Action Fund to help our organization support the unique needs of people facing breast cancer during this health and economic crisis. Rising unemployment, mandatory stay at home orders, and an overburdened healthcare system are causing a perfect storm for breast cancer patients who have questions or need care. Funds raised will ensure our Affiliate is able to help those in need of support during this crisis today.
Komen North Central Alabama remains committed to doing whatever it takes to save lives by supporting those most vulnerable within the breast cancer communities we serve. The Komen North Central Alabama COVID-19 Action Fund supports urgent needs among our breast cancer community today. Donors to the fund ensure free, timely, and important services continue for those in need, including:
• Patient navigation to help anyone access the treatment they need by breaking down economic, social, and emotional barriers; assist symptomatic women in obtaining necessary services; and answer questions related to healthcare concerns
• Transportation assistance for those who need rides to and from necessary medical appointments
• Continued advocacy for Alabama’s breast cancer patients and their needs among policy makers; funding for safety-net programs will be a tough battle in the next budget cycle due to the increase in COVID-19 health needs, and we need to be there to fight for them
• Virtual education experiences to assist patients in accessing critical, timely information related to breast cancer treatment and COVID19, online support groups, exercise classes, and information on how to cope with stress and anxiety
• Funding lifesaving research and clinical trials to discover new treatments
• General organizational support to keep us operating at full capacity so we can continue to deliver our mission
We know you are passionate about our mission, and want to make a difference. For a limited time, your gift to support urgent needs in our local communities during this unprecedented and confusing time- will be matched – up to a total of $25,000 – thanks to the generosity of our Board of Directors. Your help is needed now, more than ever.